Friday, November 04, 2005

sticky wings

As promised here is the recipe that I am using for tonights dinner. We love these. I make a big pot of mac and cheese and call them dinner. I made this recipe up when my brother in law made some passably good wings one night...trying to copy KFC honey bbq wings when they stopped carrying them for a while, I knew I could do better... and I did :) It seems like a lot of trouble to fry the wings first and I soppose you could bake them or boil them... but rememeber, a lot of great cooking is about layering flavors. And who doesnt like fried chicken???

Sticky Wings

A whole mess of chicken wings. - "Party Wings" they sell them already separated and frozen individually. They are perfect for this recipe.. sometimes you can catch them on sale for as low as 69 cents a pound like I did yesterday at Blackmon's! I always rinse chicken off after I thaw it.

seasoned salt
garlic salt
black pepper
onion powder
2-3 cups of flour
cooking oil

adjust this to the amount of wings you are making. But dont make them tooo salty! remember youre still adding sauce!

Put your wings in a really big bowl that has a lid. sprinkle with the slats and the pepper. Toss well so they all get some. Sprinkle with the flour. Now, close the lid on the bowl. Shake the bowl really hard (hang on to the lid..you dont want to know how hard it is to clean up flour thats been launched all over your kitchen from a loose bowl lid flying off) Really shake it, get out some aggression and really cover those wings with the flour.

refrigerate for at least one hour. I throw them in the fridge midmorning and let em marinate all day.

When you pull the wings out theyll be all gooey in the bowl.. its ok. It makes the breading stick good.

Pour the oil in a big pan, dont be shy. no one said this was a low fat recipe. Heat the pan till a drop of water dripped in sizzles. Drop your wings in a few at a time. Dont do to many because the temperature of the oil needs to stay hot.. otherwise youll have grease-bomb wings and not crispy ones. Fry those babies until they are nice and golden brown.. not to long otherwise theyll get tough in the oven later. Drain well (lay down a layer of newspaper first, then some papertowells... itll really suck up that oil) You can eat em just like this.. its fried chicken, but I take em a step higher in the yummy dimension

Separate into three oven safe pans with decent depth.

Sauces

I make up my sauces and then put what I dont use into the empty bottle and it keeps for a while...obviously there arent any diabetics in my house.. but if I make it for my dad I'll just buy a sauce that is already honey flavored...he shouldnt have bbq sauce at all. But ya gotta live still.

BBQ
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (we like Kraft or Bullseye.. whatevers on sale really)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup honey

just mix it all together *hint if you spray your measuring cup with "pam" before you measure the honey itll slide right out of there.

Teriaki
1 bottle terriaki sauce (yoshidas from Sams club is YUMMY)
1 can crushed pineapple juice included
1/2 cup dark brown sugar

just mix it all together in no particular order

Buffalo
1/2 bottle of hot sauce (Frank's has good flavor without torching your tounge)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 tsp garlic salt

in a sauce pan slowly melt butter on med heat, add the garlic salt and lastly the hot sauce. With a wisk mix until combined... takes a long while and still wont really imulsify...I guess youd need a blender for that, but thats to much trouble.

Pour one sauce over the wings in one pan. Toss really well. Dont want no nekkid wings.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake wings for about 30-45 minutes watching carefully so all that sugar doesnt burn.

Serve the buffalo wings with ranch or bleu cheese dressing.. and a big pile of napkins.

I get major honey points from my husband when I make these!!

No comments: