Monday, November 14, 2005

"The Red Violin " Movie Review

Sorry I missed the weekend's dinner menus Shannon.. I didnt cook much outside fo the "chick food" from the shower. In fact we ate out friday, saturday we had leftovers and last night I ate with my parents and steven and the kids had hotdogs after church. Tonight's Dinner menu- Spaghetti (semi homemade sauce I'll post the recipe for you) French bread and green beans.


The Red Violin- Samuel L. Jackson, Carlo Cecchi, Irene Graziola

The Red Violin follows the life of a red violin (duh) over three hundred years, and chronicles the stories of the people that it encounters.

At the beginning of the film, the wife of an Italian violin maker, pregnant with their child, goes to get her fortune read. She doesn't realize that the fortune is not hers, but he violin's. As time moves on, the violin travels to an orphage in Vienna, a concert house in England, China in the midst of the Cultural Revolution, and to a present day auction house in Montreal. The settings are varied and the cinematography is gorgeous.Each story is intercut with a little bit of Jackson in the present day, and as more of the violin's life is revealed, more of Jackson's story is also told.

I LOVED this movie. I personally love foriegn films and always like subtitles since my hearing isnt very good. I always have trouble with accents. I will warn you
there were some pretty racy scenes in the middle of the movie.. even some female nudity. BUT even though they were outright sex scenes they werent tooo raunchy, and they reenforced the idea the affliction of the holder of the violin. I wont go into it to vividly, but there is a scene where this virtuoso is making love to his wife WHILE he plays the violin.. the images were SO sexy without being crude or dirty.

I give this about 4 out of 5 stars.. great movie.. artsy and beautiful with a good plot.

1 comment:

Brian Rhodes said...

THIS HAS GOT BE ONE OF MY FAVORITES. I'M SUCH A MUSIC PERSON AND I LOVE THIS MOVIE.