Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Pastafarians and flying spaghetti


What next???

I have a friend that I enjoy battling with over religous issues.. and this is what we have been talking about. I have been highly ammused by reading the many many numerous websites about "Pastafarianism", serving the "Great Spaghetti Monster" and all manner of other nonsense. However it does call one to think deeply about Faith, why we do what we do, who we are and why. In a phrase? I have WAY to much time on my hands. Let me tell you all about it.

In June 2005, Bobby Henderson submitted an open letter to the Kansas Board of Education in response to their scheduling a hearing debating whether to give intelligent design equal time with evolution by natural selection in biology classes.

His postion was that since God, creation and the idea of intelligent design was in his opinion someones idea of the truth,he would submit his personaly created "faith"
nd expect equal classroom time.. he even threatens legal action. Smart smart guy... too bad hes not on MY side huh? Lets hope that our courts have the sense (and the
constitutional backing) to stop it. Here is some of what he "believes".

An invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe, starting with a mountain,a tree,and a "midgit". All evidence pointing towards evolution being intentionally planted by this "being".

Global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct consequence of the decline in numbers of pirates since the 1800s. A graph showing the inverse correlation between the pirates and global temperatures was also provided. This component of the theory highlights the logical fallacy of correlation implying causation.

It is disrespectful to teach their beliefs without wearing "His" chosen outfit, full pirate regalia.

The monster continues to guide human affairs with his "noodly appendage".

Prayers to "Him" are typically ended by "Ramen", instead of "Amen".

Heaven has a stripper factory and a beer volcano.

Every Friday is a religious holiday.

This is an except from the "word of the spaghetti"

"Yes, I have conceived the spirit of our Divine Lord, and immaculately, I might add. He came upon me while I was eating alone at The Olive Garden one evening this past winter--I was having a delicious meatball lasagna, I remember--and suddenly my eyes were filled with light, and the restaurant around me fell away, and there was nothing but His noodly appendage encircling me, caressing me. I cried out in ecstasy, and then I heard His voice in my ear, whispering to me, "In nine months time you shall give birth to a fully-grown midgit in pirate regalia, and He shall save the world from sin and hate and false notions about evolution and Creation."

I heard singing, and tomato sauce rained from the sky, and I saw angel hair pasta flying about with little farfalle wings and playing harps. It was beautiful. "You shall name Him...."Macaroni"...." said the Flying Spaghetti Monster, "and He shall bring in a new era of love and a worldwide following of Pastafarians willing to shed marinara sauce for what they believe."

And His noodly appendage left my trembling, sated body, and the singing faded, and I was once again in The Olive Garden, awaiting the birth of our Savior, Prego, who will deliver us from evil. I paid the check and went home and prayed all night to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. So fear not! If Kansas refuses to include our religion in their science curriculum--imagine, survival of the fittest, ha! it is survival of the noodliest, any devout Pastafarian knows that--Prego shall smite those heathens and burn Kansas for all eternity. Ramen!

Makes you wonder if they think that the recent "carb revolution" had something to do with persecution? ha ha

hope you have a very... noodley.. er BLESSED day ;)

1 comment:

The_Sphinx said...

Ok i am coverted where do i sign up.