Monday, January 23, 2006

The Age of Dinosaurs


" I love you, You love me.
We're a happy family
With a great big HUG and a Kiss
from me to you!
Wont you say you love me too?"

The time has finally come. The day is here, and I could not be happier. The Little man has officially discoverd BARNEY. Today we have watched "Barney's Imagination Island" twice and "BARNEY UNPLUGGED LIVE IN NY" in a constant loop. I love that purple guy.

Years ago, when I first discovered Thing 2 was on her way, I swore. To ALL that is holy, that no child of mine would be watching any mindless sappy purple dinosuar. There would be no barney sheets, lampshades or purple plushy animals. Most of all I would not waste the brain power of my daughter with that STUPID DINOSAUR. She even wore a tiny onesie that read "To Hip For Purple Dinosaurs."

And I did pretty well. I found "Baby Einstien" and classic Mickey Mouse. I put brain music on the cd player and read to her nonstop. Then it happened, one sunday morning when Caitlin was about 18 months old. I was flipping through channels, truely at the end of my Mommy rope. When passing the public television channel,I paused. I swear, only for a second to see if Sesame Street was on. But I was tooo late. There he was. Barney. A disgustingly bright and cheerful shade of Purple and singing about how special this was or how "super-de-dooper" that was. Thing 2 stopped mid scream. Dropped her sippy cup and tilted her head to the left, her eyes got glassy and She approached the tv with wonder.A huge smile appeared on her face. She began to rock back and forth to the unoriginal music. I was in big big trouble.

From that day forward we were a Barney household. When Steven and I began dating instead of the typical flowers, candy, and other meaningless love tokens, he brought me new barney tapes... and fed Thing 2's addiction.

She eventually grew out of the old purple guy. I've missed him. He and his companions BJ and Babybop lay abbandoned at the bottom of the stuffed animal crate, and her favorite Barney Pillow that I once ventured out in a rainstorm to recover from the van is no longer a sleep neccesity. In fact The little man slept on it this afternoon. I know that Thing 2's childhood wont last forever, it wont last long at all, but I will cling to it for all I am worth...

"Hey boys and girls! lets sail for Imagination island. get your hat, and hoist the mainsail... babybop dont forget your blankie!"

1 comment:

The_Sphinx said...

Hey This post makes me want to run away,my kids go through the phase except barney was never a mainstay,it was all of the shows,dora,blues clues,bear in the big blue house,all that stuff,except now my boys are taking after daddy spider man batman,super man,x-men lord of the rings,etc,i remember the onsie,she was wearing it when i held her and fed her,heres to fond memories congrats on daltons discovey i think.You are right the childhoods pass way to quickly.