Sunday, September 11, 2005

Interview with a housewife

My name is Michele. I am almost 30... gag. No really, it makes me almost physically ill to think of it . I remember when 30 was far away and a foriegn land. I was 18 and full of plans and ideas.. and not much else. And now here I am. I cook and clean for a husband and two children in a nearly desolate intellectual wasteland. Dillon, South Carolina.
My whole life literally I swore that I would not end up here. We visted in my childhood. twice, and both times I remember thinking. WHY DO PEOPLE LIVE THERE? Yet here I am. living THERE.
Dont get me wrong, I dont dislike my life. I have a tiny house, so the cleaning part of my responsibilities are not that extensive.It can go from hogpen to spic and span in about 3 hours. And then there is the little man. He is my little companion. He is 17 months old and quite the man. I have done childcare on and off for years and years. Nanny jobs and daycares ectect. I have NEVER gotten attatched to a baby like I have him.. so when I decided that the last baby farm that I worked at was not for me, I wrangled his mom into letting me keep him at home. Most days he is a joy... other days he is a drooling imp from the pit.
I have two kids of my own. Thing 1 is 10 and while not mine biologically is mine born from my heart. Her MOTHER and my husband Steven were briefly married and we have full custody. Thing 1's mother (we'll call her JDL) is basically only that. Her biological. She comes and goes from thing 1's life as she pleases and according to what stage the state is in catching up with her on her non payment of child support. They are particularly close right now, so we havent seen her much this summer. (not since middle of June actually) And other than the fact that it makes Thing 1 sad, I am unperturbed by her absence.
Thing 2 is mine biologically. She is 5 and her "father" lives in Alaska. We havent heard from him specifially in a couple years.. however I have friends in Alaska that update me on his presence on the planet every few months.Its fine by me that way since Steven is her "Daddy". Much less confusing that way.
I am married to Steven. We met five years ago, shortly after Thing 2 was born. He is a good guy. He works hard, makes an honest living and he loves ME. Really what more can one ask for than for someone who doesnt drive you to insanity? He is decently attractive, and doesnt stink. For some men, thats pretty good. I like that guy. He is my friend... and occasionally jumping his bones isnt a bad idea either. (For those of you that are screaming UGH!!! TMI right now? deal with it... we've got a license for that kind of behavior)
We attend church at Dillon Church of God, the biggest church around these here parts. It keeps us exedingly busy. I sing in the choir, and help with the Youth Group and will soon be starting a puppet ministry with our new kids pastor. Steven works with the youth, is in the media department, and helps out in boys clubs. It is kind of a hard place to be sometimes, I have never been to a church where it was so hard to make friends. I have always had miles of friends and yards and yards of close friends. Yet here, after 3 years not a single person there has been in my home. No one has called me for any other reason than to sk me to do something, and tonight not a single person addressed me without my first addressing them. sad I say. I try to be friendly, maybe its because I am an outsider.. maybe its because we dont have a lot of money.. maybe its my quick wit and even quicker tounge.. or my devastatingly attractive family.... who knows....

No comments: