Thursday, September 29, 2005

dental trauma

Today my daughter was put through a major dental trauma.

Last week Caitlin, my 5 yr old, complained of a toothache. Thursday night actually she was up all night crying and had a swollen jawline. So, I sent Steven out at 0'dark thirty to spend $7 on a tiny tube of oragel. I drugged her up with motrin and tylenol and she slept most of the night.At first light I began calling every dentist in town and the surrounding areas trying to find someone who could fit her in on a friday as our regular dentist is closed on Fridays. After a search that went as far as Columbia SC (nearly 2 hours away) I finally found a local office that would see her AND would take her medicaid.

The dentist she saw (who happened to be a major hottie) diagnosed her with an absess and put her on an antibiotic (amox 1tsp) and a painkiller (tylenol 3 codiene 1 tsp PRN) and then refered us to a peds oral surgeon. I was warned that this place was a little unorthodox but very highly recommended, and that I wouldnt be allowed in the room with her since it would be a sterile surgery.

I had no idea what we were in for.

We were a few minutes early for our 1pm appt ( I thought 1pm was a little late since she was NPO all day but thats just me) and she was seen almost immediatly. I was not admitted past the waitingroom door. About an hour later a nurse had me sign some forms and I had to agree or dissagree to them RESTRAINING HER! AAAAAK! There was also a line where I would give or not give permission to the dentist holding his hand over her mouth if she were to scream! They were asking permission to extract 3 baby teeth at one time....one of wich was in communication with a nerve.... I should have told them what to do with thier form and taken my surgery prepped baby out of there... but I couldnt imagine putting her through the wait and the agony of one more day with that absessed tooth.

About an hour later they brought her to me Dramatically red faced and crying. The nurse slapped a pack of gauze and a script in my hand and had me sign a release form. " I think she may have felt him pull that last one...You can go now." was all that was said.
I grabbed Caitie up and we left. I didnt make a follow up appointment.

As of now her face is swollen and she still bleeds some.. but the teeth are on the tooth fairy
pillow. She is drugged with little kid percoset and is drooling bloody drool on her pillow. My poor baby.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILD TO CHILDREN'S DENTAL CLINIC IN FLORENCE SC!!!!

2 comments:

Brian Rhodes said...

That poor child. I've had some minor dental work done and I didn't like it and I was an adult when I had it done. I imagine it was very tramatic for her being so little. Poor thing. You leave a note for the tooth fairy that she deserves at least $100 per tooth for her pain :) I hope she gets to feeling better. I'll be praying for her.

Margaret said...

That is really nasty! I live in England and although we moan about our dental services, I don't think you would come across treatment like that. Children don't pay for treatment here.
Margaret Tye
From Tots 2 Teens
Hope she feels better.