Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Hurricane Oscar the Grouch

We interupt your normally scheduled programming to bring you this special stormtracker report... There has been a hurricane on Sesame Street. Damage was nominal, restricted to downed limbs, blown leaves and frightened Telly Monsters... And most unfortuntatly Big Bird's
nest. Damage to his home is extensive and all of his toys are thought to be lost. A missing persons report was filed for "RADAR" the bear, but thankfully he was found a short time later unharmed. .. Im not kidding. What a great idea. Kids all over have had to deal with watching hours and hours of grown up talk about FEMA, evacuation, and floating dead bodies.What better way to help them deal with it all than to watch familiar freiends repair, and rebuild? I hadnt realized that my own child had been affected until today
Last night my children took refuge with my parents at their home next door. Not that we feared danger from Hurricane Ophelia... She wasnt scheduled to appear anywhere near our house. But
on the safe side in fear of downed trees on our property, the children enjoyed being spoiled by Nana and Papa. However I think that this may have done more harm than good. This morning Thing 2 burst through the front door at first light, and exclaimed. "ohhhh my God. Im so glad you are still here." Apparently she was under the assuption that her father and I (who were happy to stay warm in our own bed at home, rather than bunk on the floor at my parents) had been washed away in a flood or blown away by the wind, and that we had shipped she and her sister to live with my parents. Can you imagine? Poor baby, lying awake imagining Steven and I
swimming in deep dark water... or worse.
I think in the future I will be more careful about what I allow my kids to watch, and what I talk about around them.

1 comment:

Brian Rhodes said...

Kids see and think about more than you think they do. I'm sure you enjoyed your night off from the kids though.