Monday, September 12, 2005

Cinnamon candles

I love candles. There is something about burning a candle that says "home". It says you put a little effort into making your space a home, and that you plan to stay there and marinate for a while. Marinating is what I do best. I love to travel. I like to visit places and see things. But my favorite place to be is on my couch after a hot (soapy lol ) bath, wearing flannel jammies, drinking cocoa and actually NEEDING a blanket. YAY
I burn candles all year round. In summer I switch to somethuing fruity and light like melon or flowery rose tones, but come the first of september? I break out rich glossy red candles that burn almost constantly from nearly every surface in my home. You can smell the cinnamon as you approach my front porch. Even our clothes smell faintly of apple pie.
Smells are very important, they trigger memory. Every major moment I can think of in my past can be related to a certain smell. My mothers perfume on my first day of school, my grandmothers old fashioned lipstick on the day she showed me how to wear it, hot California pine straw when I was not even 4 on a camping trip with my grandparents, mango and coconut oils on the beach in Mazatlan Mexico on spring break in college.
My first love smelled a certain way. Like vanilla, and honey, and sunshine, Ive never met anyone who naturally smelled good like he did. It followed him wherever he went and remained behind when he left a room. I will never forget my wedding day and smelling the cleaning oil Charlesanna had used on the pews, my Dad's collogne and the scent of the lillies in my bouquet, or the day my baby daughter was born, the smell of iodine, and ultra sterilized hospital linens the sharp metal smell of blood when first held her, and then the sweet smell of the baby soap they used on her in the nursery.
I hope that some day.. twenty years from now, my girls and maybe the little man will be in a shop and pick up a shiny red candle, and breathe deeply and as the spicy aroma of cinnamon and apples fills thier nose, thier first thought will be of home, a wonderful safe childhood, and of me.

2 comments:

Brian Rhodes said...

Hey girl, how are ya? I would have to say that that funeral change the way I see things. I thought I would die as all of that stuff was happening. It was so funny but in a funeral you're trying to be quiet and holy. I wanted to go....."Okay people, be a little reverent here, someone died".....and "LADY, TAKE THAT KID OUT OF HERE AND BEAT HIS BUTT OR BETTER YET, LET ME DO IT FOR YOU. I'LL TEACH HIM HOW TO ACT IN CHURCH :) Must go for now, office work is mounting and I've still got to go to Sam's to pick up stuff for the cookout......are ya'll coming? I hope so! Call me at the church and let me know so I can add your name to the list OR.....it might already be there and I just haven't looked. Chat with you later. Bye girl

Brian Rhodes said...

P.S. I really enjoyed your blog on smells. I agree. I'm a big person for pleasant smells. Smells always take you back to happy places........well some of em.....the rest of em tell you.....oops you forgot your Right Guard, HAHA HA HAHA