Sunday, February 05, 2006

Spanglish

I just watched the first movie I have seen in a REALLY long time that I felt was worth anything.And shock of all shocks ADAM SANDLER was a headliner in it!

Spanglish is the story of a mexican immigrant who comes to work with an upperclass LA family as told by her daughter in her Princeton application essay. Adam Sandler,Tae Leoni, and Cloris Leachman are incredible. Even Penelope Cruise is really really good.

Its this mexican mama's battle to keep her daughter grounded, and normal, and the way a spoiled self involved white woman realizes that she loves her husband.

One scene I absolutely loved was when the white wife, who has been having an affair is talking with her mother and her mother says to her.. "This is when I say to you, your low self esteem is just pure common sense" OMG! How great is that?

I think the thing that I loved most about this movie was that the characters didnt disapoint me and give into what most people would. The father (Adam Sandler) and Flor (Penelope Cruise) are confronted with the opportunity and even the permission to commit adultery. And yet they dont. Flor says to the man who is holding her in his arms. "There are some risks you just dont take when you have children" And she was so right. When you have kids you cant always do just what is easy. You have to make the hard decisions and do what may be harder, but will bring the safer outcome.

LOVED LOVED LOVED this movie. I am still in shock that Adam Sandler can actually be a serious actor. He was amazing. Yay for him

No comments: