Friday, August 18, 2006

I wish I was a foodie

I go through Blog phases. I go for long stretches reading about one subject or another. For a long time I read blogs written by people adopting from China... no particular reason. We wouldnt qualify for it at all, and arent interested in adopting for ourselves. But I am captivated by watching the drama of it unfold. Then I read tons and tons about people who own certain breeds of dogs, travel to foriegn lands, and make lots and lots of money.I also like reading blogs from other moms and thier adventures.

My latest obsession is foodie blogs.

According to www.Wikipedia.com

FOODIE: a person with a discriminating palate and who is knowledgeable in fine food and drink. The word is a corruption of the French word groumet, a valet in charge of the wines. It is often used as an adjective for meals of especially high quality, whose makers or preparers have used especial effort or art in presentation or cooking the meal, or for facilities equipped for preparing such meals, such as a restaurant.

These people arent merely COOKS.. I mean they make food an event. They plan all day what will be for dinner tonight and then immediatly begin planning breakfast.They go to green markets and gourmet food shops. They spend entire weekends searching for the perfect wine pairing and the most beautiful tomatoes. It looks to be a charmed life... of course they are mostly singles..or proffesionals with no kids.. or affluent couples with one wierdo precocious child... Still, it looks like a lot of fun.

Of course living in Dillon, (somewhat of a gourmet wasteland) and with a man whose idea of being gastronomically adventureous is eating a green salad that involves more than cucumbers and iceberg. I am limited.. BUT I am going to give a little shot to being more interesting with what I cook.

Heres a sample of this weeks menu

Zuppa Toscanna
homemade bread

sourdough blueberry pancakes
bacon

Rosemary Roasted Chicken
roasted red potatoes and carrots
almond green beans

Turkey Chili over baked potatoes

chicken quesadillas w fresh salsa

Baked Manicotti
breadsticks

Im going to make everything from scratch.. so wish me luck.. and enjoy the pictures..

2 comments:

Brian Rhodes said...

I thought we made a deal....no more food blogs. YA KILLIN' ME! I'm hungry just reading it.

Sandy said...

OH, boy! That food looks yummy. I'll be back to check out what else you're cooking.