Friday, October 07, 2005

Pink Eye & Popcicle Sticks

Yesterday was the stuff nightmares are made of. The original plan was to clean up some around the house, feed Dalton lunch, and head to the church to help with the Music department's annual Chicken Bog sale, grab our bog plates on the way home and have a relaxing evening...unfortunatly nothing went as planned.

At about 10 am I got the call. It said "Dillon District 2" I said the prayer every mommy says when the caller ID indicates a school nurse call "Please God not head lice, not head lice not head lice..." I held my breath until the nice school nurse said. "I think your kindergartener has pink eye" PINK EYE? PHEW! Is that all?" That lady thinks I am a crazy person.

So we recovered the baby girl.. and HOLY HELL! How did I miss that weepy oozing totally bright red eye? The thing was practically swollen shut. I am a terrible mother. I even washed her face and brushed her hair that morning! poor baby.

Fortunatly Dalton's grandmother was able to keep him for the afternoon. I hated to pawn him off on anyone, but I really didnt want him getting Pink Eye. Instead I sat in a pediatricians office with a whiny girl who didnt want to be kept still and not play with the other kids in the room. Every mother in the room looked at her as if she had the plague.I guess helping with Chicken bog was not in the cards for the day.

While we were being seen I decided to have the Dr. look at Caitlin's foot. Last weekend she was walking barefoot in my parents house. They have a pug who loves to chew things.. and she had chewed a popcicle stick and left a piece sticking up from the carpet. With her luck my baby found it, and stepped on it, and it impaled her foot, leaving a trail of splinters. Now between my husband, my mom and my dad and I I thought we had gotten them all. Not so. When Dr. Rodriguez looked at the spot she felt around and looked closely, and found a HUGE piece of wood deep in the tissue of the ball of the foot. UGH! It required removal with a scalpel, and irrigation with a syringe, and packing, and a bandage, that cant be wet for 3 days.

By the time we got away from there it was to late to pick up chicken bog plates even for OUR dinner. So I made potato soup and breadsticks (I will post the recipe) from a recipe I found in a magazine. WHAT A DAY!

1 comment:

Brian Rhodes said...

You are forgiven for missing the bog. You need to keep that poor child in quarantine. She just keeps on getting sick and hurt, poor baby!