Thursday, October 20, 2005

Miss Mildred is Missing

Miss Mildred is missing. She wasnt in her spot in the third row last sunday...and none of the other grannies know where she could be. Her car is in it's spot in her driveway, and her neighbors are very worried. The police were called and they searched her home.. and found her poor cat.. starved to death, litterally dead from lack of food.. Its as if she walked into an episode of a cbs police drama. Just gone...and no one knows where to.

In MY life I am "lucky". I am surrounded by people. I am NEVER alone from morning to night. I dont drive, so everywhere I go.. Im with someone. I babysit in the daytime, so Dalton is here when my kids arent.My mother (who lives next door) calls a hundred times a day. We confer on almost every issue.. from what Im fixing for supper to how the kids day at school was. My Daddy is home 5 out of 7 days and is in and out on the other two. Uncles and Aunts live on either side of me. Accross the street is a sweet cousin who never misses ANYTHING. We call my baby sister in Alaska about every other day. If I dont hear from her for more than a few days I hunt her down amoungst our friends. ( I havent had to do it lately thank goodness) My Aunt Carrie lives there too.. but she is loved and accounted for on a regular basis. I feel better now that Tina lives near so she can run into town and check on her if we cant get ahold of her on the cell phone.There is a certain comfort in knowing that were something to happen to one of us it would only be hours or at the very longest 1 day before someone noticed....not a week and a half like Miss Mildred.

There ARE days when I miss being able to come and go as I please, like when I was single and on my own. There are also days when I realize I took terrible risks.. like riding the city bus in Anchorage 45 minutes into the country and then walking a mile home in the dark, in the winter, where there were moose and who knows what else. Or dating guys I met off the internet. Or exploring Rome Italy alone for the most part for 2 days.

I am praying that Miss Mildred has only just gone off to Raliegh to see her children and in her age forgot to account for poor fluffy the cat.... and I am thankful for my nosy family and knowing that I will never be "Lost" or gone "Without a Trace".

4 comments:

Brian Rhodes said...

Have they not found her yet? That's just weird!!!!!!!

Brian Rhodes said...

Poor kitty, kitty!

Brian Rhodes said...

THEY FOUND HER. CAT IS DEAD BUT MILDRED IS ALIVE!!!!!! PRAISE JE TO BESUS!!!

Michele said...

I hope that when I get old that i dont do things like go off and leave my cat to starve... I also hope that I am not some crazy cat lady... thats all anyone can really hope for isnt it?