Friday, October 06, 2006

martha, pumpkins and death by chocolate

What a great fall day! I loved the weather today. Allllmost chilly and a nice breeze. rainy and dark. Made me light all the candles and snuggle on the couch with the girls who were home today since it was a teacher work day.I have cinnamon sticks simmering on the stove and we plan to have soup and grilled cheese for supper. (wich spells comfort food to me) We were snuggling and watching a movie when Thing One said it was very "Martha Stewart" of me to do one thing or another.(smarta**)

I got to thinking about that, thing is? Those homey simple things that used to be Martha's trademark? They arent any more. Just watch her show! I used to ADORE her shows. I watched the old Marth Stewart Living show over and over in syndication (The first runs were a little before my time)I loved her magazine and all the great easy ideas that were in it. The new martha isnt like that at all. Its all commercialized and Buy This! (on our website martha.com) The show too is so much about hollywood and whatever happens to be going on there. (GAG!) I just cant get into it this season. Especially when I have Rachel Ray to compare to.. love that show. She shows me fun ideas.. but doesnt make me feel inferior. I always feel like Martha is mocking me.. "HA HA! try making THAT sucker!)

This morning on GMA there was a story about the Great Pumpkin Shortage of 2006. (GASP! Shocked? I know!) It was kind of amusing. They used all these graphics and had an on the scene reporter. Seems that the very wet very hot summer didn't grow a very good pumpkin crop this year.. and sellers are having to go as far as.. (get this!) SOUTHERN CANADA to get thier gourds this year!!! (Ohhh my GOD that is a travesty)There was a farmer who told the tale and he was a chocked up.. I suppose if pumpkins were your major cash income for the year it could be a bad thing.. but it did seem a little dramatic to be so torn up over vine rot.

It REALLY seemed over dramatic when it led over the funerals of those poor babies in Amish Country. My heart broke for those Mama's who burried thier little girls today and yesterday. I wished that all the press would just go away and leave them in peace to grieve. Its hard enough to say goodbye to a loved one without having cameras and reporters all over the place. Having girls of my own it hit home hard. No Mother should have to burry her children. I dont understand the wisdom.. and its one of those times when you ask God "why?" Especially innocent little girls.. ones who lived far more innocently than most kids. The forgiveness of the families has been amazing. I cant say that I'd have been so willing to reach out to the family of the man who shot and killed my babies.

I am baking a cake right now for one of my favorite cousins (yeah yeah.. I have favorites.. You do to. get over it) She is turning 27 today and I am making death by chocolate cake for her. Chocolate cake with toffee bits baked into it. Chocolate icing with chocolate chunks and toffee bits in it. Topped with chocolate curls.
YUMM-O! Happy Birthday Tammy!

2 comments:

Sandy said...

I agree with you on the new Martha Show...it's not as good as the ones she used to do. I learned a lot more on those shows. And I don't care about seeing the Hollywood people.

Brian Rhodes said...

Brian wants some. I LOVE TOFFEE. My favorite candy bar it a Skor bar or a Heath Bar. In your words, YUUUMMMMMOOOOO! I HATE diabetes.